Get Inspired ASAP
Do you ever find yourself in a mental funk? Or feel uninspired by the people or circumstances around you? It happens to us all from time to time and knowing how to get yourself into a better mindset as soon as possible is critical to your success and happiness.
The video below is by one of my favorite bloggers, Marie Forleo. In it she discusses the idea that we are “the sum of the 5 people we hang around the most” and what to do if you find that those 5 people are not as ambitious as you.
As a Fitness & Nutrition coach I have seen this play out many times and know that having social support and being able to control your mental outlook is critical to a client permanently changing their eating and exercise habits.
Are The People Around You Dulling Your Drive?
by Marie Forleo
4 Things I Do To Get Out of a Mental Funk
1. Go for a walk or a workout. When I feel myself spiraling into a negative mindset, I find it helpful to remove myself from the situation and get moving. If I feel like going for a workout, I do. If I have time to go to the park, I will. Sometimes I just take a walk around the block, I just make sure I my body moving and get out for some fresh air. Whatever you choose, movement will help to clear your head so you can get back on track.
2. Listen to Fun Music. My favorite music tool in Songza. It’s a free app/website that I use nearly all day, every day. The concierge feature is great if you’re not exactly sure what you want to listen to as it will give you suggestions based on the time of day and activity you may be doing. For example at 8am it will give suggestions like “waking up happy” or “working to a beat.” You can also search for stations that feature a particular artist, song or even search by activity like “relaxing” or “singing in the shower.” My current favorite stations are “Blogged 50”, “In the Euro Hotel Lounge” and “High Heel Power Walk” depending on the mood I am in… Right now while I write this, I am listening to “Downtempo Instrumentals.”
3. Listen to a motivational audiobook. My Audible.com membership has been like a best friend over the past 3 years and I am a self help book junkie. Why? Because they get me out of my own thoughts and into an empowering place. Any time I wake up feeling uninspired or am not in the best mood, an audiobook will always turn it around. A few favorites for getting motivated are Unlimited Power: The New Science Of Personal Achievement by Anthony Robbins, Start: Punch Fear in the Face, Escape Average and Do Work that Matters by Jon Acuff and Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success by Rory Vaden.
4. Ask an yourself an empowering question. A few months ago a friend introduced my to neuro-axiology which is all about figuring out “what makes you tick” and understanding how you think. After taking my free assessment found here I received a 10 page report that described my personality and thinking patterns with eerie accuracy. Based on the outcome, it suggested some questions that I can ask myself when I find that I am not operating from my best state of mind.
“Quality questions create a quality life. Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers.” Anthony Robbins
Based on my personality type, my centering questions are:
(1) What choice can I make that is consistent with who I am and who I aspire to be?
(2) What unique value do I have to offer in this situation?
(3) Is this a time to say “yes” and give into myself, or is this a time to take care of myself?
I wrote these down in the notebook app so I always have them with me to use on my phone, computer, and iPad. I find that I use the first question most often and so far, it has always managed to get me back on track.
It is true that we are not always in control of every situation, but we do have the power and the responsibility to do what we can. If you this information to be helpful, and think someone you know will enjoy it too, please SHARE this post to keep the information river flowing. 🙂 Thank you for reading.