The “Secret” To Lasting Weight Loss
As a Fitness & Nutrition Coach my biggest goal is to get people to understand that there is no magic bullet when it comes to weight loss. Think about it for a second, how many people do you know have regained the weight they lost after a diet? Diet’s don’t work for the long term because they create a cycle of feast and famine. Instead, you should put your time and energy into developing a healthy lifestyle. Before continuing, let’s clarify the difference between “going on a diet” and “diet” to avoid confusion:
“Going on a diet” = restricting yourself in order to lose weight with
a short term mind set. This is the kind you should avoid.
“Diet” = the foods you habitually consume. I am advocating that you adopt
healthy eating habits rather than “I’m going on the ______ diet to lose this weight.”
Why diets ultimately fail
- Not all of the weight lost on restrictive diets is fat. When weight is not lost at a healthy rate, you will lose a considerable amount of lean mass too leaving you with a “run down” appearance.
- The loss of muscle mass will also result in a decreased metabolic rate. Then when you eventually regain the weight (because it was too restrictive and you couldn’t sustain the diet) you will likely gain back more FAT MASS. So the net result of your diet is MORE FAT.
- “Diets” by nature, are restrictive. This is both taxing on your body & also your mind. The increased stress will increase the hormone cortisol, resulting in muscle wasting & MORE FAT!
Here’s a great video explaining cortisol:
Opt for a healthy lifestyle instead
- Eat Clean. By this I mean eating real, unprocessed foods 90% of the time (lean meats, vegetables, fruits, healthy fats) and indulging in high sugar/ highly processed foods less frequently if at all. Yes- it takes planning & effort, but your LIFE depends on it.
- Exercise daily. This does not mean you need to go to the gym, but do something! Some is better than none. A 10 minute walk here, taking the stairs there, and a few quick stretches during the day are all ways to get you on the right path.
- Sleep 7 hours per night. I admit, this is one I struggle with, but I urge you at least attempt to make this happen on a regular basis. Go here for some tips on how to reduce your stress & get better quality sleep.
Let’s create a better, healthier you!
Yeah, I know… the fitness world can be a confusing place, even when it comes to something as simple as understanding what to eat.
Let me help you make sense of it all with my FREE video series Healthy Eating 101. In it you’ll learn the what to eat, how much to eat, and strategies that make all of this simple & easy. As a special bonus you’ll also get my ebook 8 Daily Habits to a Healthier You so you can get started right away. Click here to get started!
If you this information to be helpful please SHARE this post to help spread the message of healthy living. Thank you for reading!