How to Plan for Nutrition Success
Essential Kitchen Tools
Besides the obvious dishes and utensils, make sure you have the following on hand to prepare & store your healthy meals.
- A Chef’s knife & paring knife
- Storage containers (at least 3 large & 3 small containers, plastic is OK but glass Pyrex is my personal choice)
- Cutting board (at least 2 plastic for meats and fish and 1 wood for fruits and vegetables)
- High Performance Blender (Vitamix is my personal choice)
- Digital Food scale
- Blender bottles (at least 2)
- Measuring cups (2 sets make life easier)
- Measuring spoons (2 sets preferred here too)
- Mixing Bowls (at least 3, a small medium and large- stainless steel with lids are nice to have)
Planning Tips for Healthy Eating
- Establish a routine that works for you & plan your week for cooking in bulk on 2 separate days eating the same thing for 3-4 days in a row to make life easier (ex: cook on Sundays and Wednesdays). You can also opt to prepare your meals in the morning, or the night before. Figure out what works for you. The key is to be intentional about it.
- Recipes are good, but knowing the basics is better
- A good guideline for Breakfast and Lunch is 1 protein + 1 vegetable + 1 starch or fruit + fat in moderation
- A good guideline for Dinner is 1 protein + 1 vegetable + fat in moderation (can have starch in moderation if desired, skip if weight loss is your goal)
- Snack guideline: 1 protein + fat (ex: peanut butter) or fruit/starch
- Plan what you will eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week and create a list before heading to the grocery store
- Use tupperware to “pre make” your meals so it’s easy for you during the week to grab your food & eat
As you can see eating healthy takes a little thought but the benefits are well worth the effort. The bottom line is this, you have to make it a priority & you have to be willing to put forth the effort to learn if you want to live a healthy lifestyle. I hope these posts have been helpful in clarifying “what” you need to do in order to be successful in your healthy eating habits.
Let’s create a better, healthier you!
Yeah, I know… the fitness world can be a confusing place, even when it comes to something as simple as understanding what to eat.
Let me help you make sense of it all with my FREE video series Healthy Eating 101. In it you’ll learn the what to eat, how much to eat, and strategies that make all of this simple & easy. As a special bonus you’ll also get my ebook 8 Daily Habits to a Healthier You so you can get started right away. Click here to get started!
If you this information to be helpful please SHARE this post to help spread the message of healthy living. Thank you for reading!